Plaats reactie
LeeLoo
Nieuw lid
Nieuw lid
Ervaring: Semiprofessioneel goudsmid

Question About Gold-Plating Companies in NL

Bericht door LeeLoo »

Hi there fellow goldsmiths,

I hope that the fact I'm writing in English won't offend anyone. I am an expat in Netherlands, who recently got into silversmithing and my current level of Dutch is not that advanced for me to be able to write this question in Dutch, I hope that's ok. :bloos:

At the moment I make all of my jewelry at home from silver and gold and I would also like to gold-plate my designs. My first questions is do you do this from your home/atelier? Or outsource it? I am scared to work with cyanide and other harmful chemicals at my home, is there a safer way to do this from home?

And my next question is, would you have any recommendations for companies you work with for gold plating?

Many thanks!
Sinterklaas
Actief lid
Actief lid
Ervaring: Overig

Re: Question About Gold-Plating Companies in NL

Bericht door Sinterklaas »

Personally I would not want to plate anything inside the house. Very dangerous chemicals. Outsourcing is the safest way. b;) If you do decide to do use proper ventilation. Preferably with a fan exhausting to the outside.

For professional plating check out: https://haveman-edelmetaal.nl/

They do very high quality plating. Even on single items, don't need to have a minimum amount plated per run. Also they have much better control of the plating thickness than you or me will ever get.

Also in the past this company did great jobs when I send them some thing: http://boonstoppel-fabriek.nl/index.php?id=16

One question you write that you make silver and gold jewelry. And you want to gold plate them. You also want to gold plate gold? Or you want Rhodium plating on white gold?

Alternatively you can also ask a local goldsmith if he or she can gold plate or Rhodium plate your stuff. Most goldsmiths have Rhodium plating baths (you don't want to use pen version it is not thick). But not that many have gold bath especially red gold.
LeeLoo
Nieuw lid
Nieuw lid
Ervaring: Semiprofessioneel goudsmid

Re: Question About Gold-Plating Companies in NL

Bericht door LeeLoo »

Thank you so much Sinterklaas! You have no idea how much I appreciate this after hours of struggling to find information online with my broken Dutch :)
I will contact Haveman right away!

Oh I meant the question mainly for gold-plating my silver jewelry and perhaps brass, but also rhodium plating for white gold.

:thx:
Plaats reactie